How do we recognize this mushroom ?
The red yeast of rice is also known under the Latin name of Monascus purpureus.
It is identifiable by :
- its size : this mushroom is one of the smallest. Microscopic, it is invisible to the naked eye;
- its appearance : under the microscope, Monascus purpureus has a red color;
- its growth medium : this fungus only grows on white rice.
The red yeast of rice is edible.
What are the properties and medicinal virtues of red yeast rice ?
Red yeast rice has a notable medicinal virtue :
- it helps to normalize the cholesterol level in the blood
What are the precautions to take before using this mushroom ?
In spite of a respectful use and in conformity with the prescription, it is possible to feel certain unwanted effects :
- violent muscular pains;
- a disturbance of the functioning of the liver;
- a deterioration of the liver.
It is strongly advised against using Red Yeast Rice with :
- the consumption of grapefruit;
- Consumption of alcohol;
- renal insufficiency;
- liver insufficiency;
- an already present attack of the muscles;
- hypothyroidism (slowing of the thyroid gland);
- statin drugs.
Monascus purpureus should not be used if :
- pregnant or breast-feeding woman;
- elderly person;
- children under 18 years old.
Updated on 20 January 2023 at 16:16