What is a cold ?
The common cold is a frequent, benign and generally winter disease that corresponds to an inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose (nasal) that can even reach the pharynx in children.
What are the symptoms ?
The common cold causes a clear nasal discharge that thickens and eventually turns yellow. Generally, the discharge is accompanied by :
- sneezing ;
- a headache caused by a headache;
- a fever higher than 38°C;
- irritation of the throat;
- a dry or wet cough or an alternation of the two.
How long does it last ?
The cold is followed by a spontaneous recovery in 1 week and never exceeds 2 weeks.
What are the causes ?
The viral origin with a contagion by a virus of the rhinovirus family is the main cause of mild colds.
Is the common cold contagious ?
The common cold is very contagious by direct contact (kissing with the transmission of saliva, ...), by indirect contact (presence on a surface : door handle, toothbrush, ...) and by transmission in the air (microdroplets when coughing, when speaking, when breathing, ...).
What is the danger ?
The danger lies in the risk of complication of the cold in otitis, sinusitis or bronchitis in children.
When to consult a doctor ?
It is useful to consult a doctor if :
- the symptoms last more than 48 hours;
- fever exceeds 38°C;
- a pain is present in the face;
- a cough is persistent with the presence of respiratory discomfort;
- the cold concerns a newborn less than 6 months old;
- an edema of the eyelid and conjunctivitis is associated with the cold.
Treating colds with homeopathy
- CORYZALIA with 1 tablet per hour to be sucked is the reference treatment against colds;
- NUX VOMICA 5CH associated with SABADILLA OFFICINARUM 5CH and ALLIUM CEPA 5CH is an explosive cocktail to get out of a cold quickly and effectively;
- if the nose is blocked, it is relevant to add AMONIUM CARBONICUM 5CH.
To go further, see our article: "Homeopathy: When and how to take your granules ?".
- Hydration is essential, especially for newborns and the elderly;
- Sea spray is very effective in preventing colds. If the nose is blocked, hypertonic sea sprays should be used, with 1 spray in each nostril 3 times a day. The isotonic spray can be used as much as necessary;
- raising the head at bedtime with a pillow helps to reduce respiratory discomfort and coughing;
- To avoid spreading contamination, wash your hands regularly with soap and water;
- remember to cover your mouth when you feel like coughing;
- Avoiding tobacco is essential;
- Naturopathandco recommends a cure of vitamin C with 1 gram to be taken every morning during 2 months in winter.
Updated on 03 April 2022 at 20:50