Influenza is a seasonal illness caused by a virus. It is a highly contagious disease that often causes headaches, high fever and aches. It first affects the respiratory system and can be complicated into severe forms.
What causes the flu ?
Influenza is linked to a virus that changes form easily and quickly, it is said to mutate. This is responsible for the transformation into a new form that can be more or less dangerous and can "escape" the effectiveness of the vaccine. The onset of influenza is often caused by a weakened immune system and can be responsible for a significant number of deaths in susceptible populations such as the elderly. The winter period and a poor lifestyle also contribute to weaken the body.
This virus attacks the respiratory system and then invades the entire body.
What are the symptoms ?
The classic symptoms of the flu are great fatigue, aches and pains, a high fever with chills and headaches.
How is it caught ?
The flu is easily spread through the air by the micro-droplets of an infected person who will talk, cough or sneeze. The virus can also be transmitted through saliva and indirectly through surfaces that have been touched by the sick person (door handles, computer keyboard, toys...). The virus can survive on these surfaces for up to several hours, but it is not known if the amount surviving would be enough to infect someone!
Did you know that ?
Even after the flu patient has fully recovered and the risk of contagion is over, the virus can remain in the stool for several more weeks!
This shows the importance of proper hand washing.
How long before I have symptoms ?
Incubation, i.e. the silent phase between contamination and the appearance of the first symptoms generally lasts 1 to 3 days.
How long does the flu last ?
Generally, the symptoms of the flu require staying in bed for up to a week with a loss of appetite.
How long are we contagious ?
An infected person can be contagious up to 2 days before and 10 days after the first symptoms. Children are sometimes contagious for more than 10 days because their immune system is less developed and therefore less rapid and less effective.
Flu or cold, what are the differences ?
Unlike the flu, the common cold does not cause a high fever (above 38 ° C), runny nose, headaches are less present, muscle aches are very rare.
Natural health advice
To avoid the flu, vaccination is the only solution. Even if it does not allow a total protection in order to avoid contamination and contagion (the fact of catching it and giving it to its neighbor), it allows to avoid complications with the serious forms.
- A balanced diet is essential. You must eat fresh fruits and vegetables to give your body energy. Think of oilseeds such as walnuts and almonds which provide vitamin E. Eliminate fatty foods and overly sweet, fatty and salty processed foods.
- Physical activity in the open air is essential. Oxygen is the best anti-infectious, so walking in the woods and biking, while well covered, will be your winter friends.
- Think of vitamins D and C which act on the immune system. Certain trace elements such as copper, manganese and colloidal gold stimulate the body.
- To prevent contagion, remember to wash your hands regularly and use disposable tissues. Think of the barrier gestures.
- Fatigue reduces the immune system : think about treating it
- Stress reduces the immune system : consider treating it
Treating the flu with homeopathy
To relieve the symptoms of the flu :
- Gelsemium sempervirens 9 CH : if aches, headache, fever, chills, dry cough. It is the essential medicine for the flu.
- Rhus toxicodendron 9 CH : if joint pains, fever, associated herpes.
To facilitate recovery after the intense fatigue of the flu :
- Kalium phosphoricum 9 CH : fatigue, low blood pressure.
- China rubra 9 CH : following profuse sweating, low blood pressure, vagal discomfort.
To go further, see our article: "Homeopathy: When and how to take your granules".
When to consult a doctor ?
It is necessary to consult a doctor if the fever lasts more than 3 days without going down below 38°C (be careful, doliprane artificially reduces the temperature). If fatigue causes loss of consciousness. If the slightest effort causes severe shortness of breath, which also occurs at rest. If chest pains appear.
Updated on 03 April 2022 at 20:36