The physical and mental purification of the Ama
Ayurvedic medicine reserves an important place for purification cures. Their objective is to eliminate Ama, a substance that forms when food is not digested properly and which is the source of all illnesses, whether physical (fatigue, headaches, cellulite, weight gain...) or mental (negative emotions, depression...). As the accumulation of Ama is impossible to prevent, it is important to regularly purify.
For this, there are several methods :
- the liquid day : one day of fasting per week which corresponds to the day of purification, if possible always the same day each week. The principle is to avoid all solid food by eating only vegetable broths, fresh fruit juice and purifying tea or hot water. The objectives are to eliminate ama and to strengthen the digestive system called Agni;
- Intense fasting : an Ayurvedic soup cure for three days in order to eliminate toxins and food that stagnate in the intestines, cleanse the liver, gallbladder and vascular system. For this, we opt for a soup based on mung beans (soybeans), which have purifying properties while being rich in minerals;
- Pancha karma : an Ayurvedic cure of intensive care whose goal is to purify the body in depth then to revitalize it. It takes place over several days in Ayurvedic centers in India and is based on a personalized program according to the personal profile of imbalances called Dosha.
Taking care of the Agni
Ayurvedic medicine also recommends starting the day with a cup of hot water with the juice of half a lemon. This is ideal to cleanse the digestive system (the Agni), boost its action and eliminate the toxins of the day before. Ayurvedic medicine recommends resting and relaxing because overthinking takes up a lot of our energy. Staying calm allows the body to better concentrate on eliminating toxins.
The bestseller recipe : the ayurvedic purifying tea
In a saucepan, pour 1 liter of water and the spices :
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds ;
- 1 teaspoon of coriander seeds;
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds;
- 2 slices fresh ginger;
- 1 teaspoon black pepper;
- 3 cloves;
- 1 cinnamon stick.
Bring to a boil and let boil for 5 to 7 minutes, then let infuse for 5 minutes off the heat. Strain. Drink this tea throughout the day.
Updated on 09 December 2022 at 16:21